Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Introducing Sonny Perschbacher

Old Steam Engine
Well, I finally made it!  I'm all caught up with the neglected posts of the past few months. And while I haven't had anything particularly thought provoking or interesting to report here, hopefully I have presented a nice array of very talented artists and some incredible artwork for your appreciation. This latest entry in my recent "Artist of the Month" selections, which brings us to the current, November artist, is Sonny Perschbacher, a retired architect, and graduate of Kansas State University School of Architecture in 1967. 

Generally, as I start to prepare for each months' edition of the newsletter, I'll start off by checking in on the groups I belong to at FineArtAmerica, and this month was no exception to that strategy.  The membership at FAA is massive, and narrowing the search to my specific groups can still be quite an undertaking, since there may be anywhere from 25 - 1000 artists participating in a specific group.  But there, on the very first page of the "Ink" group, I saw this incredible rendering of the "Old Steam Engine" chugging along through a mountain pass, and knew my search would be a quick one this time around.

Smithsonian
Sonny  had practiced for some 40 years before retiring in 2008. During that time, he produced numerous residential projects as well as a considerable number of architectural renderings.  Lately, Sonny has been branching out, creating works in pencil, pastels, and watercolors. His pen and ink works have been ongoing for a number of years and he has done several very time-consuming "pointillism" (dots only - no lines) pieces (i.e. trains, clipper ships).  As someone who works in ink, using the pointillism technique, I am amazed at Sonny's attention to detail and accuracy.  To fully appreciate his work, click on the images here to see the full-size versions in his FineArtAmerica Gallery.  The link above in the first paragraph will take you to his Profile page, and here is a link to his website as well:  Sonny Perschbacher - Artist
 
Water Wheel
Mountain Home in Watercolor

No comments: